For an order to go through a number of factors have to be satisfied. First you must have enough buying power. Second, there must be adequate volume on the market, since we only allow users to trade up to half of the volume of any security on the market, and finally you must not exceed your position limit. The default position limit is 25% which means you cannot put more than 25% of your portfolio value in a single security. Please note that only professors have the ability to change the position limit for their classes. Once all three factors are satisfied, and given the market is open of course, the trades should execute right away.
Articles in this section
- I am getting the message “order total $x.xx + open position total $x.xx must not exceed maximum position size $x.xx” when trying to make a trade. what does this mean?
- What is System Cancelled in Order History?
- I bought XXX amount of shares, but I got YYY amount of shares. Why?
- ABC Stock is only $1.00 but your site has it listed at $10.00. What gives?
- Limits / Stops / Trailing orders - Why didn't it execute?
- The price paid is different from the preview price.
- How do i dispute a trade?
- I placed an order, but I can't find it in my open positions. Why not?
- Why can't I place an order?
- Is day trading allowed?