This means that your order is violating the position limit rule set by the professor. Position limit is the maximum % of your portfolio value that can be comprised of 1 single security. So for example if your position limit is 25%, then no single security can make up more than 25% of your portfolio value. Professors can also choose to set different position limits for different types of securities when creating their class.
Articles in this section
- I am getting the message “order total $x.xx + open position total $x.xx must not exceed maximum position size $x.xx” when trying to make a trade. what does this mean?
- What is System Cancelled in Order History?
- I bought XXX amount of shares, but I got YYY amount of shares. Why?
- ABC Stock is only $1.00 but your site has it listed at $10.00. What gives?
- Limits / Stops / Trailing orders - Why didn't it execute?
- The price paid is different from the preview price.
- How do i dispute a trade?
- I placed an order, but I can't find it in my open positions. Why not?
- Why can't I place an order?
- Is day trading allowed?